Global Fest 2016

This year, Canyon Vista held its first ever Globalfest on Tuesday, May 3rd with a huge turnout. The evening was full of exciting games, delicious food, and getting pumped up as the school year is coming to an end. Food trucks and tri-fold presentations created by students were on display, teaching people more about the country’s culture.

The Canyon Vista PTA organized this event in order to celebrate the culture of different countries. Since our school is made up of so many different ethnicities, Globalfest was a way to learn more about the different cultural backgrounds students came from. Students who took French with Madame Mattioli created projects about francophone countries–countries whose main language is French. “Tonight was a big success. I wanted projects about francophone countries because I think it’s very important to research and be knowledgeable about these countries,” says Madame Mattioli.  Although this event was sponsored by the PTA, most of the presenters were led by students. “My favorite part was the students’ participation! The fact that they did all this research and presented and prepared the food is wonderful. They had a good time socializing with their friends, playing games and eating food,” Madame Mattioli added. Many presentations involved food from the country students researched about.

With over a thousand students attending Canyon Vista, our school is known as an ethnically diverse community. Globalfest was a great way to celebrate our Mustangs’ differences. “I came tonight so I can learn about other countries. I chose [to research] Switzerland because it seemed pretty interesting. One cool thing about Switzerland is they do yodeling. It’s a part of their past and is traditional,” 7th grader Larry Skergan said. On the other hand, 6th grader Sebastian Dobek talk about Argentina because that was the country his dad was from. “My favorite thing about their culture is soccer and tea. Tea is important to Argentina–they consume lots of tea, and it’s good for your brain!” From making origami cranes to the history of Monaco, students and families enjoyed the games, food, and fun from around the world which were all brought under Canyon Vista’s bus canopy.