The Student News Site of Canyon Vista Middle School

*SPOILER ALERT* Fantastic Beasts Review

Fantastic Beasts is a film and screenplay written by J.K.Rowling, the famous author of Harry Potter. In fact, when Harry first gets his Marauders Map you see Newt Scamander’s name on it if you zoom in very closely, which is strange because the time frame of fantastic beasts is in the 1920s; way further back in time. This is the only clue to us that we know of that she gave a hint to the movie coming. Actually J. K. Rowling was coming up with Fantastic Beasts while she wrote Harry Potter but since the timelines were different she couldn’t hint him in (excluding what I said before) no matter how excited she was for Fantastic Beasts.

Besides that, Fantastic Beasts is an amazing movie. Though some people don’t like it because there’s not as much plot that practically demands another movie as in Harry Potter. They feel like if you knew they weren’t making four more movies about it, you would think it’s just a short story. Just a little add-on to the lore of Harry Potter.

Many people still love it though because as said earlier it’s in a different time, place, and new characters. It tells people that wizards and witches are not only in Europe. We’re even introduced to a new school called Ilvermorny. Tina’s sister even said when she finds out that he went to Hogwarts, “Hogwarts? Hogwash”. But it is that his school has four different houses similar to the Hogwarts houses. They are Thunderbird (Gryffindor), Horned Serpent (Ravenclaw), Pukwudgie (Hufflepuff), and Wampus (Gryffindor). Though it’s strange none represent Slytherin. Nope! One Slytherin house is enough. Imagine a house like Slytherin in Ilvermorny. That’s way too much to handle. Though there are two houses similar to Gryffindor, both are a bit different. Thunderbird favors the more adventurous, while Wampus favors warriors.

Though there were some confusing parts in the movie, such as when the lady at the orphanage took Credence’s belt to whip him for staying out past curfew or what the heck Newt was doing to get the rhinoceros elephant thing in the suitcase. You could kind of tell what was going on if you paid attention. Though I guess it would be confusing in those parts for a younger audience.

Still, there were many questions about the ending even from hardcore fans. It was confusing about what happened to Grindelwald. Or even what was about to happen to Tina in the white room on a chair with memories in the pool below her. Not to mention that black essence (maybe an obscurer) almost swallowing her. So many people are left with so many unanswered questions, which kind of enrages the Harry Potter fans. But some of these questions will probably be answered in the next four movies. Overall it was an amazing movie, and any Harry Potter fan will enjoy it.