Canyon Vista Middle School Region VI Chess Tournament

Chess is an ancient game. Originating in India as the strategy game chaturanga. A game of war. Now chess has evolved into an international game where people of all ages have fun. On Feb.16, 2019, the Region VI Chess Tournament was held in Canyon Vista Middle School.

A total of 72 students participated in two sections. The Championship Section and the Varsity Section. The USCF or United States Chess Federation has a ranking for each player. Your ranking will increase or decrease depending on if you win or lose a game in tournaments. The Varsity Section is for lower rated players, and the Championship Section is for higher rated players. This makes it so that if you just started playing chess you won’t be paired up against someone who has been playing for a very long time.

The Region tournament was a whole day activity. The students have to be committed to doing their best to make it through the day. There were many concession stands and after the matches, the students would play with each other and have fun to take their minds off of the tournament. Inside the tournament, however, the tension begins. The game is full of silence. Not a sound shall be heard. Parents are not allowed to view the matches. You can literally feel the tension in the air. Every single move is thoroughly calculated. A single mistake can cost you the match.

In this environment, you have to play five games. Some opponents may bring in clocks creating even more tension. You can get disqualified if you talk. There are multiple rules that you must follow. This game truly is one of the utmost precision and skill. Although you may think that the only sports are physical activities such as basketball or soccer, chess is a sport of the mind. Out of 72 people, three CVMS students placed high in the tournament. First place is Siddarth, Vadlamani. 2nd place is  Tanvi, Reddy.  4th place is Manika, Aggarwal.

“I put in a lot of practice for this tournament and I think it paid off,”  Aggarwal said.