Book Review: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

The book, “The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian,” is a terrific read. It’s really good for teens. You can’t stop reading because it always leaves off on an interesting part or romantic part. It’s a page turner that will keep you guessing to the end.  

Randy recommends reading 
Randy recommends reading “The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.” Photo by Kara Wilkinson

The story begins with an Indian boy named Junior that is stuck in an old rundown reservation. He dreams that one day he can leave and find hope elsewhere. Eventually, he moves from his all Indian school to Reardan Junior High, a “rich, white kid’s” school. There he gets in a fist fight with a jock named Roger, but later they become good friends. He also befriends a girl named Penelope,asks her out, and gets accepted. He later tries out for the basketball team and makes the team. However, his joy fades when he goes against his best friend Rowdy in a basketball game. Rowdy started to detest Junior when he moved from his old school to the Reardan Junior High.  Junior loses his first game against Rowdy’s team and gets a concussion. He later gets even when he plays against Rowdy again in the playoff games and defeats them. He later re-kindles his friendship with Rowdy when he apologizes for leaving his old school and leaving him without telling him beforehand. The book ends with Rowdy and Junior being reunited as friends.

Many characters experience many difficulties in life. The main theme is try to find a place in the world. Many middle schoolers and high schoolers face peer pressure to do the wrong thing when no one is watching . People, in general should read this book because it gives insight on what it’s like to be a different person from a totally different place when everyone else in high school is the exact same.

This book is one of my all time favorites. It was written by Sherman Alexie; it was written because he went through a similar experience that the main character, Junior, faces. In my personal opinion, Junior’s experience is close to mine. I felt different from my peers because I was from a totally different place. I was fortunate enough to meet good people that helped me through middle school.

Sherman Alexie’s book is a good one that is really worth reading.