the Droughts in Texas

The inferiority of rainfall has caused treacherous droughts in Texas. The comely, glittering lakes that have been here for a substantial amount of time are now dried up and are simply just a dwindling shadow of their former self. The lack of rain not only affects the once sufficient bodies of water, but also people. The droughts only provide a deficient amount of water for the people of Texas, a disappointingly devastating factor.

You can see the lack of water in Lake Travis. Photo by Emily

Droughts are little to no rainfall which causes low water supply. The lack of water affects a massive amount of Texas. The State Drought Monitor shows that 97% of the state is affected by droughts. That means only 3% are receiving a sufficient amount of rain. Since many people are affected by the droughts, drastic measures must be made.

The lingering problem is being addressed by the state. The Texas Legislature is trying to pass Proposition 6, which will help communities with small projects that will lessen the impact of the shortfall of water. According to David A. Daiz from Your Valley Voice, the plan will cost $2 billion and will come out of the state’s Rainy Day Fund. Although the number seems large, it will not crease an immense gap in the funds. And remember, it’s hard to pin a price on human quality of life.

Besides the proposition, other minor changes are being made. Water restrictions are in effect to try to conserve the use of water. Restrictions like watering lawns on certain days may strike as familiar.

There can be hope for the future- hope that the droughts will get better and water will become more supplementary. That one day, maybe even soon, lakes will be full and water restrictions don’t have to be so tight any more. Whether the state is either to be helped by precipitation or humans, there should always be faith that the droughts will drift off and only become a small fig of the past.