National Winners

The musical ensemble, Canyon Vista Honors Band, has achieved a proud accomplishment. Last year, the Honors Band entered recordings of the songs, “Summer Dances” and “Invincible Eagle,” and was recently named National Winners in the contest called the Mark of Excellence hosted by The Foundation for Music Education (TFME).

TFME says that the Mark of Excellence is a musical competition where it “offers bands, choirs, and orchestras the unprecedented opportunity to earn national recognition for their musical achievement.” Schools enter their best recordings of songs and show off their finest pieces of music. CVMS Honors Band got their recordings from the UIL concert performance last year. Honors Band was selected as National Winners, the top quarter of all the entered recordings. The competition included 178 ensembles from 35 states.

When Mr.Piwetz, the head band director, was asked if he thought the Mark of Excellence was a hard competition, he said, “Oh yeah- to make it to the CD is an amazing accomplishment.” All National Winners are given a compilation recording (the CD) of all the top quarter recordings. Honors Band was featured on the CD.

“Summer Dances” and “Invincible Eagle” were pieces that Piwetz thought showcased the capability of the band. Piwetz felt these songs spotlighted them. These pieces were “high school level, not middle school.” Piwetz said that Honors Band didn’t do anything special to get ready for the competition, that students just met before and after school. Piwetz said that Honors Band tries to “approach everything in an attempt to make it the best it can be.” This is the second time Honors Band has been awarded National Winners- last year and the year before.

“Exhilarating.” One word that described all 13 years of working with Honors Band for Piwetz. “[It is] probably my greatest joy in life. I love it.” Although Piwetz enjoys coming to see the smiling faces of all the band students everyday, this will be the last year Piwetz will be at Canyon Vista.

Canyon Vista’s Honors Band has worked exceedingly hard to gain their position in the competition. Hopefully they will be able to claim their place in the event again next year.

Have a listen to the audio tracks above. They are the very recordings the Honors Band entered into the competition.