The Student News Site of Canyon Vista Middle School

Wellness Wednesday: The Cat’s Meow

Everyone knows that the entertainment industry refers to cat ladies as aged, but there might be a genuine theory behind that. Owning those cute, fluffy cats can actually aid in living longer.

Sixth grader Sarah W. has owned her cat, Patience, for a year. Photo by Emily 

Cats aren’t just lovable, little creatures, they are also beneficial to your health. They warm up your heart with their adorableness, but they can also save your heart from many diseases. A study from the Minnesota Stroke University shows that those who don’t own cats are 30-40% more likely to die of cardiovascular diseases than cat owners.  The study showed that your risk of suffering from a heart attack and strokes are decreased as well. Cats also lower your stress level, therefore reducing anxiety levels. Owning one can lower your blood pressure. All of these illnesses are fatal and a fuzzy feline can help save you from them.

These pets are known for helping with depression. Petting cats is very soothing and it feels like you are escaping from the problematic world for a while. It helps you focus on something else and not other thoughts, that may have you feeling worse.

That soft, calm purring from cats is surprisingly very helpful to your well-being and living longer. The vibrations that come from purring are known to be able to help heal infections and swelling. They also aid in healing injured muscles, tendons and ligaments. The frequency of the noise is actually one of the best for boosting bone strength.

Most people say that having cats can cause allergies, but a research shows that people who’ve grown up with a cat have a reduced chance of developing allergies and asthma later on. Kids who’ve owned a cat growing up, have stronger immune systems and a lesser chance of getting many other respiratory issues.

Your feline friends are capable of much more than sitting there and purring. It will help you live longer and continue to boost your health. Maybe cat ladies own cats purely for the enjoyment of pets, but maybe they know the secrets of living longer.