Texas Book Festival

8th grader Kate Lee holds her plaque that she was presented with at the Texas Book Festival. Photo by Emily Lu

Every year, hundreds of authors from all over the country flock to Austin to celebrate the Texas Book Festival. Founded by Laura Bush, a former librarian, this festival honors authors and their contribution to literacy and imagination.

This year, the Texas Book Festival was held from October 25th to the 26th at the State Capitol building. A total of 250 authors made an appearance, including some authors you may know- Shannon Hale, Claudia Gray, and Adam Gidwitz. Not only were there author readings, book signings, live music and local food, but the winners from each age group of the 13th Annual Youth Fiction Writing Contest were invited to speak on the panel. This contest encourages creative writing throughout schools in Texas, and first place winners are awarded a plaque and 250 dollars. One of the winners is Canyon Vista’s very own 8th grader Kate Lee.

She  wrote a short story about a young Jewish girl named Dalia who was sent away to live with a German family. “I’ve always been interested in World War II, and thought it would be fun and interesting to incorporate it into my piece.” she said. “It felt surreal when I found out I won, although I was a little nervous about speaking on the panel. Despite the nerves, once I was up there, there was a very laid-back feel to it, and it was certainly very intriguing.” To read Lee’s winning entry, click here.

The Texas Book Festival is known for it’s appeal to authors and readers from all over the world.  Since founded, this non-profit organization has donated more than 2.6 million dollars to libraries all across Texas. If you missed it this year, be sure to check it out next fall.