The Student News Site of Canyon Vista Middle School

Club Fair Tonight!

Canyon Vista is introducing a variety of new before and after school clubs at the annual Club Fair, held today in the cafeteria at 5:30 p.m. The Club Fair introduces different clubs, from Art Club hosted by Mrs. Loera and Mr. Ramirez, to Yu Gi Oh Club hosted by Mrs. Moeller. Clubs are a great way to explore different skills outside of school and to learn about society and how we can help our community.

One of the many school bulletin boards devoted to clubs. Photo by Kara Wilkinson

Art Club is an after school group that meets on different days of the week. Students create projects and volunteer in the community. Last year, Art Club students helped at Laurel Mountain Elementary School’s carnival by face painting.

The Avant Garden is hosted by Mrs. Fritch and is located in a plot north of the school. Students learn how to care for an edible garden and have the opportunity to taste their own work. Occasionally, the work of the Avant Garden is featured in the cafeteria for the entire school to sample. The Avant garden is definitely a club for those who have a green thumb.

Canyon Vista also hosts a club called Helping Hands, managed by Ms. Mattioli. This club focuses on supporting the community and helping those in need. They hold fundraisers and drives to help different organizations that need assistance.

Ms. Mattiolli also hosts the French Club,which is designed to help students expand their French vocabulary and learn about the French culture. Last year, French Club sold Bon Bons and had dinner at La Madeleine to be more acquainted with French customs and society.

Academic U.I.L is  also available to all students and comes in a variety of subjects. U.I.L. is not a club but another type of after school activity that focuses more on core subjects. Subjects are managed by different teachers and at different times of the week. U.I.L. sign-ups are already available in front of the library. Students represent Canyon Vista in more than 10 different subjects at competition.

There are many more clubs and organizations that are not mentioned and they will all be introduced today at the Club Fair! After school activities are a big part of the daily lives of many students at CVMS and the variety of options allows students to explore multiple interests and skills. It’s also a great way to meet new people and spend time with friends.

To see a list of clubs, click here. To see the Club Calendar, click here.