The Student News Site of Canyon Vista Middle School

Book Review: The Legend of Muirwood

Yoonsoo recommends
Yoonsoo recommends “The Legend of Muirwood.” Photo by Kara Wilkinson

“The Legend of Muirwood” by Jeff Wheeler is a wonderful trilogy for readers, adults and children alike. It’s hard to take a break while reading because the author creates a sense of anticipation as the characters endure throughout this suspenseful story of love and new found identity.

Thirteen-year-old Lia Cook is a wretched, a child abandoned on the doorstep of an abbey. She lives a peaceful life of work and happiness, helping out the abbey in the kitchen, cooking, as says her name, until an unexpected something happens. One man appears on her doorstep, dragging an unconscious man, asking to hide him in the kitchen. He leaves her alone with the man after dumping him on the ground, saying that he would come back for him. She finds out that this man is a maston, someone who can channel the Medium. The Medium is a sort of power that you inherit from your family. If your parents are both mastons, then you are more powerful in the Medium. If you did not inherit this power, through a krystel, an item you can make or buy, you can also use the Medium by force. Eventually, soldiers come to Lia’s home, demanding to know if any maston came through. Lia is then thrown into a lifelong adventure with this mysterious man who dares not tell his name… yet.

The characters face many life-threatening hardships like being chased by people who want to murder them, losing their homes, having to trust strangers who could report them to matson murderers, and having to hide huge secrets when they really want to burst because of them. Even though the events feel kind of rushed because they face hardship after hardship almost every other day, if Wheeler were to elaborate more, I feel the book would be too long.

This series is one of my personal favorites, and even though each individual book is somewhat longer than most young adult novels, it is definitely worth the read because of its exciting plot. While other authors take you on extraordinary adventures, Wheeler also causes you to go through many different emotions along the way. His adventure is truly like no other.