Wellness Wednesday: Laughing

Made on piktochart.com by Kara Wilkinson and Katie. 

Scientists believe that the nature of a care-free life is laughter.

Studies showed that laughing is valuable to both physical and mental health. According to helpguide.org, laughing increases your body’s immune cells and disease-fighting antibodies which reduce your chances of getting diseases. Laughing also supports your heart by sustaining our blood vessels and enhancing blood flow which helps decrease the chance of getting heart attacks and other heart related issues. Laughter can calm your muscles and leave them that way for an exceptional 45 minutes. Having relaxed muscles helps your body regenerate energy.

Laughter is also a great way to get exercise. When you laugh, you work out your diaphragm, abdominal, respiratory, facial, leg, and back muscles. Scientists guess that about 100 laughs is about the same amount of effort as exercising on a rowing machine or an exercise bike for 10 to 15 minutes. Conducted studies from William Fry, a pioneer on laughter research, proved that it “took 10 minutes on a rowing machine for his heart rate to reach the level it would after just one minute of hearty laughter.”

Sigmund Freud said in his theory that laughter clears pressure and releases “psychic energy.” His theory is one of the claims that say that laughter is significant to your health. Philosopher John Morreall states in his theory that laughter is a feeling of relief when danger passes. The timing and rhythm of our laugh deals with the amount of danger we feel which results in how long or intense we laugh.

Laughing connects with your brain by releasing endorphins that give you that natural good feeling. Laughing (or even just smiling) can make you feel good, while reducing your level of stress, because you can’t feel any irritation or bitterness in your mood when you laugh. Studies showed that laughter happens unintentionally and we can restrain laughing, but we can’t reproduce it. That’s why it is so awkward to laugh directly (fake laughing).

Laughter is essential to a healthy and happy life. Isn’t it wonderful that there is such a cure that is beneficial and free?