Introducing GSA Club

Image created by Alice Zhang.
Image created by Alice Zhang.

As of this year we have had our first GSA at Canyon Vista, but many students don’t know what a GSA club is or what its place is at our school. GSA is an acronym that stands for Gay Straight Alliance, which is a tight knit group of students and teachers who support and meet with any individual or group of people, regardless of any differences they face. Even though it’s the club’s first year at CVMS, it’s following is growing quickly.

Another thing that many students don’t know about the club is that it’s introduction as a club has been in the works for over a year. The GSA has already grown to have a large group of seventh and eighth graders attending and the club is still increasing in numbers.

A sponsor of the club, Mrs. Crain, shared her thoughts on the growth of the club and what it is the GSA promotes. “GSA is a club for students who are interested in making a positive change,” Mrs. Crain went on to say, “We are an inclusive club for all people regardless of sexual orientation, gender orientation, or any other discriminating factor.” Any student is invited, as the club is about dispelling hate, not creating more.

The club has only been promoting positivity and equality. Several parents came to the booth during club night to thank the sponsors for having a club like this at Canyon Vista. The GSA also has support from the administrators at our school as well as among some Round Rock officials.

Although many students and parents have already shown a negative response to the club, the GSA only aims to support those who have no voice in matters such as bullying and advocacy. The club meets every Friday at 7:50 AM in Ms. Crain’s or Mr. Elliott’s room and you can learn more about the club by visiting with the sponsors before or after school.