The Student News Site of Canyon Vista Middle School

4K vs Regular

May 18, 2018

What is 4K resolution? 4K refers to one of two high definition resolutions:3840 x 2160 pixels or 4096 x 2160 pixels. 4K is four times the pixel resolution, or twice the line resolution (2160p), of 1080p (1920 x 1080 pixels). The other high definition resolutions in use are 720p and 1080i. So 4K resolution basically makes the content such as a movie, video, or picture, look better. Many people have switched to 4K devices. The PS4 Pro, Apple TV 4K (4th Generation), Xbox one X are devices that work with regular monitors and televisions, but work a lot better with 4K TV’s and monitors. Most people own regular TV’s as 4K Televisions is a relatively new concept. People are switching to 4K for better resolution and better televisions overall.

If you want a television and aren’t really sure if you need 4K, you may want to ask yourself this. How much is resolution important to me? Do I already have devices that are 4K compatible or am I willing to get those devices? Does the price make sense, since 4K television’s are pretty expensive? If you find yourself saying “Resolution is not that important to me. I am just looking to buy a TV and not other devices that are compatible with a 4K TV. I’m not looking to spend a lot for better resolution.”, then a regular smart TV might be the choice for you. There are many smart TV’s out there that can do almost everything that a 4K TV can do, is a lot cheaper, but just does not have the high-definition resolution. So it really depends on what you are looking for. As the years go by, better and faster TV’s are going to come out, but that might not mean you need them.