A Quiet Place (Spoilers)

May 24, 2018

“A Quiet Place” is a horror film directed by John Krasinski. Krasinski also starred in the movie alongside his wife, Emily Blunt. This movie received really good ratings, with an 8/10 on IMDB and a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes.  I liked the movie but would not have given it such high ratings. So what was it about? The movie is about the Abbott family who does whatever it takes to survive. In this case, that means to be quiet. The Abbott family communicates through sign-language because they cannot talk. Their daughter, Regan, is hearing-impaired, and one day while the family is tip-toeing in a library, their youngest son, Beau, grabs a space-shuttle toy. Regan explains to him that this is a rocket. The father comes and takes out the batteries after Regan prevents it from hitting the ground and making a noise after Beau drops it from his hands. Regan gives the toy back to him without the batteries but does not see Beau grab the batteries. Beau makes a sound with the toy and when the sound is made, an alien-like creature quickly grabs the boy and vanishes.

A side plot of the story is how Regan blames herself for Beau’s death. She also thinks her father does not like her and blames her for Beau’s death as well.  The plot is how they take down the aliens and how parents will go to any lengths to protect their children. I recommend you to watch this movie, but only if you are alright with the occasional jump scares. Overall, I give this movie a 7/10 for its interesting plot but I kind of felt there was a sense of boredom in some scenes that were not really needed.