Apple’s New iPhones

September 18, 2018

In October 1879, Thomas Edison launched the lightbulb that could last for twelve hundred hours. One hundred thirty-nine years later, on September 12, 2018, Tim Cook launched something of almost the same caliber. The new iPhones.

The launch consisted of iPhones, which were part of the X series: the iPhone XS, an updated version of Apple’s iPhone X that came out last October, an iPhone XS MAX, which has the biggest screen Apple has ever made, and the all-new iPhone XR, which at a 6.1inch liquid retina display, retails at $749 and comes in White, Yellow, Black, Blue, Coral, and Red. So what’s the difference between the three?

Let’s start with the iPhone XS. This is an updated version of Apple’s flagship iPhone X. The design is pretty much the same, but it does have some features that improve the overall performance of the phone. For starters, it has an A12 Bionic chip, whereas its predecessor, the iPhone X, ran an A11 chip. Is it going to make a difference? Yes. The A12 chip is running a next-generation neural engine which is a lot more efficient than an A11. The camera is still basically the same. The iPhone X and iPhone XS both have a dual camera, with a 12-megapixel wide-angle camera and a 7-megapixel True Depth camera. The iPhone X and XS both have a 5.8 inch OLED display. The iPhone XS is water resistant for two meters, unlike the iPhone X’s 1 meter. They both support wireless charging. The XS includes Face ID. The iPhone XS starts at $999 and comes in sixty-four, two hundred fifty-six, and five hundred twelve gigabytes of storage.

Now let’s move on to the iPhone XS Max. This year, Apple replaced their iPhone Plus program with the Max program. The iPhone XS Max is pretty similar to the iPhone XS. They both have the same processor and same camera. What sets the iPhone XS Max apart is the display size. The iPhone XS max has the largest screen ever put onto an iPhone. The size of the display is 6.5 inches. For reference, the size of the display for the iPhone 8 plus was 5.5 inches, and the X and XS Max have 5.8-inch displays. The iPhone XS Max has an OLED display. The iPhone XS Max is water resistant for up to two meters and supports wireless charging. The XS Max includes Face ID. The iPhone XS Max starts at $1099 and comes in sixty-four, two hundred fifty-six, and five hundred twelve gigabytes of storage.

Finally, the iPhone XR. The iPhone XR was a highly anticipated phone due to it’s cheap, affordable cost. The XR also uses an A12 chip, similar to the XS and XS Max. The iPhone XR has a 12-megapixel camera and 7-megapixel True Depth camera. The XR has a 6.1 inch LCD display. The iPhone XR is water resistant for up to one meter, like the iPhone X, and supports wireless charging. The XR includes Face ID. The iPhone XR starts at $749 and comes in sixty-four, one hundred twenty-eight, and two hundred fifty-six gigabytes of storage.