Introducing National Junior Honor Society ©

The National Junior Honors Society©, or NJHS, is a society which focuses on character, scholarship, leadership, service and citizenship. Students in NJHS are expected to show these qualities in the school and community.  Current 7th graders are selected midway through the year to be in the club based on academic success. They then have to complete an application and write an essay about their skills and service.

Click to Enlarge. Infographic created by Ananth Kumar on Piktochart

To join NJHS at Canyon Vista, students must maintain a cumulative 95% average for the first four six weeks of seventh grade in core classes and high school credit classes. Students will then receive a Student Activity Information Form in their advisory class. On the form, applicants will have to complete the required essay proving they have shown the five pillars (character, scholarship, leadership, service, and citizenship) throughout their life.

The main goal of NJHS is to serve the community, promote leadership, encourage responsible citizenship and scholarship, and to develop character. NJHS focuses on building skills and relationships that will help members progress through later academic stages and beyond. Community service and involvement in school activities are encouraged as well as becoming and interacting with student leaders, starting to create a portfolio about your achievements, and learning how to be an effective leader.

The National Honors Society, or NHS was founded in 1921 by The National Association of Secondary School Principals.  Eight years later in 1929, they decided to create NJHS for middle schools. By 1930, NJHS had over 1,000 chapters, or schools involved . Now, NJHS has over one million members worldwide, including chapters in all 50 states, most U.S. territories, Canada, and a small group in Asia.

“The members of NJHS are a very capable group, and we can use this opportunity to benefit this school in any way,” said 8th grader Daniel Shi, co-president of NJHS. The society is a great way to prepare students for the rest of their lives. Striving to be in NJHS is a great way to kickstart students’ academic success. NJHS recognizes the tops students in middle schools and honors them. Most importantly, NJHS helps students give back to the community, which is always an excellent thing to do.