Day in the Life of Mrs. Collins

Whenever students are out of school, most don’t give their teachers a second thought. However, the majority of students don’t realize just how much their teachers do for them, or even what they do in their freetime. Today we’ll be highlighting one of Canyon Vista’s many favorite teachers, Mrs. Collins.

While a lot of people at this school wake up somewhere between 6:00 am and 7:00 am, Mrs. Collins gets up at 4:30. When you’re sleeping in the early hours of the morning, she’s up and moving, walking her dog, working out, and getting ready. She finally arrives at school around 7:00, and begins her school day by drinking tea instead of coffee.

The school day ends at 3:30 for the students. But not for Mrs. Collins. She stays after school and helps kids with tutoring. She also works on PBIS, and updates her website. After she leaves school at around 5:00, she occasionally works out with the other science teachers.

Mrs. Collins chose teaching because despite all the stressful work, she claims that teaching found her. She originally planned to be a school psychologist, but needed teaching experience first. Once in the teaching profession, she decided that she loved it, especially with middle schoolers. She decided to stick with it. “She’s so fun, quirky, and demanding,” said one of her students, seventh grader Rohan Polavaral. Although she had intended to become a school psychologist, if she had to give up teaching, Mrs. Collins would now choose to work in a bank. 

On the weekends, her family loves trying new restaurants found on Yelp, hanging out with the other science teachers, and once in a blue moon she travels to Houston to visit her extended family. When she’s at home, she likes taking breaks from her stressful life by watching Netflix and reality TV. While she doesn’t have much family here in Austin other than her husband, she does have a four year old Pomeranian/Pekingese mixed dog named Champ.

So the next time you see Mrs. Collins, think of her as more than just a science teacher. Think of her as a fun loving, goofy, hard working person. Think of just how much time she puts into making students lives better, and remember to thank her the next time you see her.