Avengers: Infinity War or Infinity Boredom? (Part 2/Spoilers)

May 3, 2018

The movie that has been hyped for the last year came out on April 27. Hopefully, you have read our last article without spoilers and you know the gist of what happened. If you want to know all the details since you’ve already watched the movie and wanted to know if you just missed something, or if you are a true Marvel Comics fanatic and just haven’t had the time to go watch the movie, you have come to the right place.

The movie had a surprising but somewhat predictable turn of events. For starters, Loki is killed by Thanos, the villain of the movie. Although, Loki as killed he might be resurrected this time as he has been in the past. Thor, Loki’s brother, survives the explosion Thanos sets to kill him. Hulk is sent off to Earth by Thanos.

It is revealed in the beginning of the movie that Thanos’ plan is to collect all 6 stones, making him extremely powerful, and helping him to execute his plan.

Well, what’s his plan? His plan is to erase half of the world’s population from existence, reducing the waste that is produced, and letting the other half of the population have more and better resources to use.

When Hulk is sent back to Earth, he warns Doctor Strange about Thanos plan. Strange than calls Iron Man for help, and they decide to work together. Ebony Maw and Obsidian come to Earth, hoping to locate the other stones, but is greeted by Iron Man and Doctor Strange. They fight him off, and Maw takes Doctor Strange, but Spider-Man and Iron Man stay on the ship.

While there is action in New York, Midnight and Glaive go to Scotland and try to attack Vision and Scarlet Witch. Captain America, Black Widow, and Falcon rescue them, and they go to the Avengers Facility where they are met by War Machine. While Vision offers to kill himself in order to get the Mind Stone, but Captain America thinks that they can remove it safely in Wakanda.

Back with Thor, the Guardians of the Galaxy receive a distress call from Thor. When they arrive, Thor fills them in on what’s going on. Rocket, Groot, and Thor go to Nidavellir to make the Stormbreaker, a weapon capable of killing Thanos. The rest of the Guardians go to Knowhere and find Thanos. He kidnaps Gamora, who saves her sister Nebula from getting tortured.

Thanos and Gamora both go to Vomir. In a quite pleasant surprise, they find Red Skull with the Soul Stone. In order to get it, Thanos has to sacrifice someone he loves. In doing so, he kills Gamora, his adopted daughter. Red Skull then gives him the Soul Stone.

Nebula, knowing what her sister did for her, tells all the Guardians to meet her on Titan, which is Thanos’ homeworld. While the Guardians are coming, Spider-Man and Iron Man free Dr. Strange and kill Maw by ejecting him from his ship. When they all meet at Titan, Dr. Strange uses the Time Stone to see the chances of winning.

Unfortunately, he only sees one possible chance they would defeat Thanos out of 14 million others. They then come up with a plan to remove the gauntlet from Thanos. Thanos then comes to them and tells that this is essential for the survival of the universe. When they finally figure out that Thanos killed Gamora, Star-Lord was enraged and broke the hold on the Gauntlet.

Knowing what would happen later on, Strange gives up the Time Stone to Thanos so he could save Stark. I know a lot of people after the movie got mad at Dr. Strange, but let me explain. He only did that because he knew that they were too weak to go against Thanos. He deduced that in order to get that one out of 14 million chance, he would have to sacrifice it.  

Thanos gaining the stone, then goes to Wakanda to gain the last stone. There we see Captain America and the gang again. They try to remove the stone, but Thanos’ army comes and attacks. They mount a defense, and they have a huge battle. Something interesting I thought was because Bruce couldn’t turn into the hulk, he took Iron Man’s Hulkbuster suit. Clever.

Along with the Wakandan Army and part of the Avengers, Thor, Rocket, and Groot arrive to battle. They soon kill Midnight, Obsidian, and Glaive. The army retreats, but Thanos shows up. While Scarlet Witch tries to get the stone away, Thanos retrieves it by ripping it out of his head. Vision then dies.

Thor tried to kill Thanos but ultimately failed. Keep in mind, he did cause a lot of damage, and Thanos himself was scared. The fact that Thor could cause damage means in the future Avengers, he could defeat Thanos. Unfortunately, it didn’t do enough, and with a snap of the finger, Thanos achieved his goal. Teleporting out Wakanda, he went back to Titan as everyone was dying.

Many superheroes “died” from the Gauntlet including Spider-Man, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, and Bucky. Every Guardian died except Rocket, which was depressing, and Scarlet Witch and Falcon also died. In the end credits, Nick Fury and Maria Hill were also killed, but Nick Fury contacted presumably Captain Marvel before his death.

The deaths were quite dramatic, and I know a lot of people got really mad when Spider-Man died. Another coincidence was that Rocket had to see Groot die a second time. But one thing suspicious is that about half of these heroes either have a contract left with Marvel or have upcoming movies.

For instance, Spider-Man 2 is confirmed happening with Tom Holland, while Guardians of the Galaxy 3 is also confirmed. The sequels to Black Panther and Doctor Strange are also rumored but not confirmed. They will surely have to come back, but how is still a mystery. For the other characters, we don’t know if they will come back to the Marvel story or if they are dead for good. So a possibility could be to set these sequels in a time before Infinity War takes place.

As you can see, many significant events related to Marvel’s long storyline took place in Avengers Infinity War. You either have probably watched the movie if you are reading this or you aren’t going to watch it but you want to know what happens. I thought this movie was average as it did have a lot of action but wasted a lot of time with useless dialogue that did not really help the storyline. It felt like a lot of things were just there to fill in time. It is definitely not a bad movie, but with the hype everywhere, some viewers just left feeling disappointed.