Boys Soccer: vs. Pearson Ranch

Andrew Bailey, Reporter

Almost one year ago, the Canyon Vista boy’s soccer team won the district championship against Walsh, 2-1. In head coach Fred Reyna’s last game at Canyon Vista, the team delivered him their maiden soccer trophy in ten years. And on Thursday, May 3rd, the beloved Coach Reyna returned for his first soccer match against his old team, when Pearson Ranch visited our Mustangs.

As is a similar theme of other games this season, the red and blue started off on the front foot. Early on in the match, Kiyan Tavasoli had many opportunities, and scored a goal which eventually was ruled out for offside, and another chance on the doorstep called back for a handball. But eventually, Tavasoli made amends by scoring off of a Jack Willingham cross to open the scoring thirteen minutes in. Less than five minutes later, the lead could’ve been doubled when Tavasoli was sent through, only to be brought down by the Pearson goalkeeper. However, the penalty kick was mishit from the forward, and saved comfortably by the Rattler’s number one. And the Mustangs were made to rue their missed chances as the away team evened up the score at one a piece, as their left winger ran onto a bouncing, over the top ball and slotted the ball away from a tight angle. Right before the end of the half, Pranav Medikonduru spurned a great chance to regain  the lead, as his volley from inside the six yard box went over the bar.

In the second half, the game came out of control for both teams, as the game turned into a series of long balls and counter-attacks as both teams were searching for the game-winner. And eventually, it came to the home side, as Tavasoli scored his third goal of the season off a cross from Govind Ramesh. Substitute Sean Lin came off the bench and had chances on the counter-attacks, but the pacey forward could not find his left foot and put the game to bed. The match finished, 2-1 to the good guys. And on a day of celebration for the opposition coach, his old team made sure that there was nothing more for him to celebrate except coming back to his old team.

About the Writer
Andrew Bailey, Reporter

Andrew lives and breathes sports. When not playing football for Canyon Vista Middle School or soccer with his soccer team, you can find him at work refereeing soccer games, running at the track, working out at home, or playing with his friends at Mountain View Park. He is also an avid reader and an all-A’s student. Andrew has the determination to share with you the best information on you favorite sports with his monthly articles and podcasts on Canyon Echoes. Happy reading!