Why Are We Getting So Much Rain?

Claire Lawrence, Reporter

Everyone knows that the past summer was hot, humid, and most of all had little to no rain. Maybe you were inside all day, or you don’t mind the heat, but you’d have to be blind not to notice this sudden increase of rain. If you don’t watch the news or follow weather channels, then here’s the scoop on the weather these past weeks.

As you may have guessed, we’re beginning to enter hurricane season. If you don’t know what the hurricane season is, it’s pretty much just as you would expect: It is the season where the conditions are just right for hurricanes and precipitation. The official season is from the 1st of June to the 30th of November, where the sun is still beating down on the Atlantic Ocean making it warm, but the top air in the atmosphere is cooling down and beginning to “fall”. This causes an increased amount of storms during these months. In fact, there are currently four named hurricanes and tropical storms in the Atlantic Ocean. The first time in 10 years! The most-watched storm is Florence, the stage four hurricane about to wreck the Carolinas’ shores. But there are actually three more: Helene, Isaac, and Joyce. They are not planned to make landfall, but they are threatening.

However, the weather we are currently facing is not a hurricane. It’s not just your run-of-the-mill rain either. We call it Invest 95L. Let me explain. There is currently a large storm in the Gulf of Mexico, which is bringing heavy rainfall the Southern Texas and Mexico. Some are calling it a tropical storm due to its size and rainfall, although technically it has not begun to spin and rotate like a tropical storm or hurricane. Right now it’s technically classified as a “cluster” of tropical depressions, which is the step down from tropical storms. However, storms like these are always changing and morphing. This one is threatening to become a tropical storm or something even more dangerous.

Although what is causing our influx of rain is technically not a tropical storm or hurricane, it is an anomaly and is going to cause major rain and flash flooding to us. If you love rain, enjoy this weather as it is not going away anytime soon.

About the Writer
Claire Lawrence, Reporter
Claire Lawrence is a dedicated student who is obsessed with getting good grades. She loves art, music, and photography. She is mostly recognized as the awkward artsy kid who reads when she should be paying attention. Her favorite food is any Vietnamese noodle soup she can find(especially pho). She spends her time by cuddling with...