School Works Students Too Hard?

Back to Article
Back to Article

School Works Students Too Hard?

Emma Ross, Reporter

School is obviously for learning and education. But when does it go too far? I believe that school is starting to overwork their students. I think they give us too much homework and due dates that are ridiculous.

You may be thinking “Emma, I only get like 1-2 sheets of homework per period” well think about six periods you get homework from (excluding gym and lunch) that’s a big chunk of homework. And for some people that might be easy but for others it can be very hard. I first think about how it affects the student. Some of my friends, including me sometimes, get to be very late. For example, I went to bed around 11:00 the other night on a school night doing homework. Now imagine if I was studying for a test and also trying to finish my review and say I stayed up till 11:30. The next day I wake up around 6:30 a.m., I would have had seven hours of sleep, which is barely enough for a grown adult so think about a teen. I come into school and get a bad grade on my review and test because I was too tired to think. Which leads me to my next point.

I think that the due dates some teachers give us for products are sometimes almost impossible to complete. I’ll have a packet due in three days, no class time and I also have a bunch of other homework. That would be very hard for me.

I honestly think that we should have no homework or a very small amount a week. I think I  would be very more productive the next day cause I would get to have sleep and I would be able to extracurriculars without worrying about homework. If we don’t have homework during the school year I think we should have some in the summer to help us not forget anything.

I know this might not impact how we run our school but knowing someone read this and agrees, maybe someday it will happen.