Bienvenue Madame Kerkhofs!

A Q&A with our New French Teacher

Bienvenue Madame Kerkhofs!

Mme Kerkhofs joined Canyon Vista this fall and is excited to be part of our school.

Q: Where did you learn French, and why do you teach French?

A: I took French 1 through French 3 in High school. My senior year of high school and freshman year of college, I did not take French. I decided to re-learn the language sophomore year of college when I realized that I had forgotten most of what I had learned in my three years of taking the language! I decided I wanted to teach French because I love learning new languages and enjoy how much communication and teamwork is involved in learning a new language. Everybody in a foreign language class helps each other with the material and we communicate with each other through conversation and activities. I wanted to pass the appreciation of another language culture onto the next generation of students.

Q: If you could go one place for vacation where would you go?

A: My plan for my next vacation is to take a road trip through France. I have been to France many times in the past, but I’ve never taken the time to visit the smaller towns that are not as well known. Another place that is on my bucket list is Antarctica, and yes, there is a way to travel there from Argentina!

Q: What got you interested in learning French?

A: I am originally from the Netherlands and Dutch (the language from the Netherlands) is largely influenced by German, however, there are a lot of vocabulary words and cultural aspects that were influenced by the French language and culture. I think it is a very pretty language and I love that French is spoken all over the world! (29 countries have French as one of their official languages!)

Q: How long have you been teaching?

A: This is my first year teaching at a middle school. During my 2 years of students teaching, I taught at different elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools in Austin. After finishing my degree in French language and culture at the University of Texas, I taught at 2 different online academies in Houston. 

Q: What are some of your aspirations for teaching French this year?

A: This is such a different year compared to how French is usually taught in schools. Everything had to be changed and learning a new language has gotten a little trickier as it’s more difficult to talk to each other online. My aspiration for this year is to find new and interesting ways for the students to be able to talk to each other and practice speaking French in class in an online setting. 

Q: Can you describe yourself in 3 words?

A: I would describe myself as kind, patient, and understanding. 

Q: What are some of your favorite books?

A: That’s a great question! I have always loved reading and I’ve always had a book near me for as long as I can remember! I would have to say that my favorite book series is still the Harry Potter series. I also love reading memoirs and historical fiction. My favorite author at the moment is Kristin Hannah and I have read almost all of her books.