Say Hola to Señora Stearns!

Sra. Stearns has recently joined the Canyon Vista staff as a new Spanish teacher. Read this Q&A to learn a bit about our brand-new staff member.

Q: Was there an exact moment you decided that teaching was for you?

A: I decided that teaching was for me when I was a little girl, maybe around 8 years old. I remember for Christmas my parents would get me “classroom” gifts so I could pretend to be a teacher with my little sister. So, it’s been a desire of mine for a long time.

Q: When did you start learning Spanish, and why?

A: I wanted to take French as my language requirement in high school. I was very upset to find out French wasn’t going to fit my schedule, so I ended up having to take Spanish. I loved learning a different language; the process was very natural for me. I began my freshman year of high school and continued my learning all the way through college at UT.

I love how language gives one access to other worlds: culture, literature, new friends all over the world, as well as global perspective.

Q: What musical genre do you enjoy most?

A: I am a huge fan of instrumental music–some of my go-tos are Nils Frahm (modern piano), Tycho, Balmorhea, classical music, etc.

Q: Are there any set goals that you hope to achieve this year?

A: YES. I hope to grow in my use of technology (although I think that’s a necessity and not a desire.)

I also hope to make virtual learning as fun as possible for the incredible students that I have this year. Canyon Vista is awesome!

Q: What would you say others like most about you?

A: People close in my life have often said that they admire my calm and peaceful spirit.

I like to comfort and counsel people close to me when they need a friend, letting them know it’s all going to be okay.

Q: What’s something you enjoy bragging about, or are very proud of?

A: I won first place in a bodybuilding competition back in 2017. I trained and got really strong. It was a random endeavor that I decided to embark on. It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life, but I believe that the training I went through allowed me to develop an incredibly strong mental and physical grit.

Q: If you could be insanely talented at anything in the world, what would you choose?

A: I would want my talent to be loving the people around me really well. I believe that’s what matters the most in life.