History Help!

What do you look for in an average A+ student?

6th grade: Someone who cares about, [and] works diligently to complete classwork.

8th grade: Participating, asking questions if [they are] confused, it makes it seem as though they need help, and that’s good.

Why do you think some students have trouble studying in your class?

6th grade: Middle school can be difficult, because it’s the first year [and] students are expected to do 8 classes of workload. 

8th grade:  Us history has a lot of facts and information, and some [students] have not been taught to study. you have to understand how to implement the word “studying” unlike other subjects where they have definite answers. In history it’s more open ended, there is no clear answer, [instead] there are many points of view, many different accounts.

What is the most important aspect of studying in your opinion?

6th grade: Asking for help when you only know partial information, and completing assignments. Whether it’s time constraints, assignment constraints, or just the general social situation of having to come up to a teacher and ask for help can be challenging.

8th grade: Memorization,[because] there are a lot of dates and ideas that students need to remember, and studying is a way to remember terms and events. No one has taught most of these students how to [correctly] use flashcards, and memorization facts.

What’s the hardest part of your subject to teach?

6th grade: [It’s hard to teach] the expectations, and the time goes so fast, and there is only time for one day per topic. It’s tough to grasp a concept in that time.

The expectation to understand a concept, acquire, and apply.

Being able to manage time is important in sixth grade.

8th grade: The constitution, because of the principles and concepts. 

Its broken down into pieces to make it easier to understand for students

I think if you break it down into bits and pieces it makes it more understandable.

Students have the most trouble with implementing these subjects in the real world. Ask yourself “how would you use that in a school? “

Student questions

What do you think you struggle most with as far as social studies?

7th: “Paying attention in class, because it just goes on and on”

8th: “I think probably keeping track of assignments, and maintaining information from past units.”

Are there any specific ways you study during social studies?

7th: “Gimkits and blookets and kahoots because they are like games, and less like assignments.”

8th: “I just look at the flashcards.”

How does the way you learned in 6th or 7th grade contrast to the way you learn now?

7th: in sixth there was more homework, and more preparation for 7th grade, and the teachers were more lenient.

8th: [8th grade] is much more serious, and a bit more hardcore, so I have to try more to keep on track.