The Student News Site of Canyon Vista Middle School

Taylor Swift’s New Album: The Tortured Poets Department

On February 4, 2024, Taylor Swift went onstage at the Grammys to receive her 13th award, this time for her new album “Midnights” winning Best Pop Vocal Album. While onstage, she also announced her brand new album, “The Tortured Poets Department”, coming out on April 19, 2024.

“The Tortured Poets Department” has a black-and-white color scheme similar to “Reputation”, another album of hers. Because of this, most of the hints Taylor dropped to her new album were taken in the wrong direction, a re-record to be titled “Reputation (Taylor’s Version)”. Many people including Quinn Chong (7) thought that “Reputation (Taylor’s Version)” was going to come out before any new albums.

“I did not expect this announcement at all. I definitely wanted and expected Reputation Taylor’s Version to come out first,” Chong (7) said.

Because the official album hasn’t been released yet, swifties have made their assumptions about what the album will be like.

Holly Mulcuck (7) says, “ I think the album will have a similar genre or sound as Reputation and it will probably be about tortured poets.” On the other hand, Chong (7) says, “The new album is definitely going to be about one of her exes, Joe Alwyn, and the music will sound similar to ‘Midnights’ or ‘Folklore’,”

There will be two tracks on the album with featured artists. These include “Fortnight” with Post Malone and “Florida!!!” with Florence and the Machine.

“Taylor absolutely made the right decision on the selected artists. I love Post Malone and I’m excited to see what music they make,” Chong said.

Overall, Taylor’s announcement was very unexpected and surprising. Many swifties said they are thrilled and excited for the new songs, especially since the track list came out.

The Track List:

• “Fortnight” featuring Post Malone
  • “The Tortured Poets Department”
  • “My Boy Only Breaks His Favorite Toys”
  • “Down Bad”
  • “So Long, London”
  • “But Daddy I Love Him”
  • “Fresh Out The Slammer”
  • “Florida!!!” featuring Florence and the Machine
  • “Guilty as Sin?”
  • “Who’s Afraid of Little Old Me?”
  • “I Can Fix Him (No Really I Can)”
  • “LOML”
  • “I Can Do It With A Broken Heart”
  • “The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived”
  • “The Alchemy”
  • “Clara Bow”
  • Bonus track: “The Manuscript”
  • Bonus track: “The Bolter”
  • Bonus track: “The Albatross”
  • Bonus track: “The Black Dog