Mustang Profile: Mrs. Ramirez

Every teacher has something special that brings them to school everyday. For Mrs. Marisa Ramirez, it’s the students and their families. “I love helping students and families any way I can. I believe that all students deserve a quality education and a positive experience in school. I am excited and feel honored everyday to know that I have some part in shaping who a young adult might be one day.”

“If I was not in this role and I had another position I would bring my two loves together which is art and education. I would love to be a director of a cultural arts center,
“If I was not in this role and I had another position I would bring my two loves together which is art and education. I would love to be a director of a cultural arts center,” said Assistant Vice Principal Mrs. Ramirez. Photo by Matthew

Since childhood, Ramirez has loved helping others. Ramirez always knew she wanted to be a teacher. As a child, she was infatuated with school supplies. While she played with her neighbors, she would be the “teacher” every time because of her kind and patient characteristics.

Before Ramirez became an assistant vice principal, she worked in the classroom helping teachers and students. She then decided that she wanted to be a vice principal, and graduated with a degree in educational leadership. Throughout her journey as a teacher and assistant vice principal, Ramirez has discovered that being at school, helping students, is where she belongs.

This is Ramirez’s first year as an assistant principal. She has served as an English teacher, department chair leader, team leader, coordinator, and an instructional coach. Ramirez loves students unconditionally. Currently, Ramirez is at Canyon Vista every other Wednesday, and every Thursday and Friday and at Ridgeview Middle School the other days.

Teaching runs in Ramirez’s family. When asked what inspired her to become an educator, Ramirez said, “I come from a family of public servants and understand the importance of that role. I am passionate about being an advocate for equality in education and in order to be a part of that mission, I have to be an active participant.”

There are many things about Canyon Vista that make Ramirez smile. “I am amazed every time I am here by the wonderful students,” expressed Ramirez. “Canyon Vista students are kind, polite, and respectful. I enjoy the diversity at this campus and believe it is one of its assets. I enjoy the amazing faculty and staff. Everyone here is so friendly and always willing to help one another. The campus building is also very beautiful and unique.”

As a former teacher, Ramirez’s has a favorite moment from teaching. “My favorite moment when I was teaching is when my students have deep, meaningful conversations that elicit a call to action, a longing to change the world, an understanding of compassion for others, and a willingness to make a difference. I know that in that moment their education was not about a test or a grade, but about who they are and who they want to be.”

Like everybody, Ramirez has a role model. “My role models are everyday people that serve as public servants, are not in a job for the money, but truly want to make a difference, and at the same time juggle work, home, and families. These people are heroes in my eyes.”

Assistant Vice Principal Ramirez’s service and dedication make her a hero in our eyes and we think Canyon Vista is better for having her at our school.