Coins for Coats Drive

As the chilly fall and winter approach, it’s time to pull out all those warm jackets and coats. Unfortunately, many kids in the Round Rock School District aren’t as lucky as some of us to have outerwear for the upcoming weather. However, our school hosts an amazing fundraiser to help students in need.

Mr. Ramirez's advisory class raised close to $200 for the Coins for Coats Drive. Photo by Matthew
Mr. Ramirez’s advisory class raised close to $200 for the Coins for Coats Drive. Photo by Matthew

At Canyon Vista, the annual Coins for Coats drive raises hundreds of dollars. This year, the advisory classes of Mrs. Wilkinson, Mrs. Rainey, and Mrs. Boyd collected lots of money, but Mr. Ramirez’s advisory brought in the most with $195.53!

Ramirez said that he wanted his class to participate in something together. “Turning it into a competition helped motivate everyone to donate,” said Ramirez. “The best part of it, despite raising the most, is that people are getting help…coats for those who have nothing to keep them warm in the cold.”

Many students gave to this cause, but one student in Ramirez’s advisory, 7th grader Priscilla R., donated nearly a quarter of the proceeds! “I donated so much because I have all I need. I wanted to help other kids who aren’t as blessed as I am,” said Priscilla.

All of the donated money goes to the Round Rock Area Serving Center to provide warm, snugly coats for students who can’t afford them. The families of our mustangs have a glowing generosity for those in need, which is especially important for the upcoming holiday food drive.