Red Ribbon Week

Infographic created by Hannah Lu on Piktochart

Once upon a time in the United States of America, drug abuse did not shatter the lives of teenagers. Look at our world today. Changes have happened — big ones too. Nowadays, it’s hard to imagine a high school where 100% of the teenage population lives completely drug-free. People are being exposed to drugs in their early teenage years thanks to influence from the media and peer pressure. The usage of drugs at an early age can leave lasting impacts on health and can possibly lead to addiction for the further years. Organizations like the National Family Partnership exist to provide awareness for these harmful substances. They also sponsor the National Red Ribbon Week Campaign, the largest and oldest drug campaign in the U.S.

It all began in response to Enrique “Kiki” Camarena’s death in 1985. Camarena was an undercover agent for the DEA (United States Drug Enforcement Administration). While in Mexico on a mission, he was abducted and tortured to death by drug traffickers. This news angered people all across America and they began wearing badges of red satin in his honor. Thus, the red ribbon was born. To this day, this simple but significant symbol represents living a drug-free life and has not just touched the lives of millions of people, but also changed them for the better.

“I think it is important to spread drug awareness,” says 8th grader Rehana Shaik. Red Ribbon Week does just that. Each year, Canyon Vista participates in Red Ribbon Week by following the theme week created by the Student Council. During Oct. 26th – Oct. 30th, there will be a unique theme for each day of the week that students can follow. The motifs allow for students to join in the campaign at school through the expression of their clothes.

Dressing up throughout the week will be loads of fun, but what’s more important is to remember the reason behind it. Make sure you think about what the red ribbon really symbolizes, which is to create a drug-free America.