Chamber Music in the Public Schools

This Sunday, January 17, a CHAMPS (Chamber Music in the Public Schools) concert will be held. Many students aren’t that interested in classical music, preferring the more modern pop and rock music.

CHAMPS is a chamber music program started by master teacher and violinist Robert Rudie 25 years ago. CHAMPS is currently directed by Toby Blumenthal. “CHAMPS is the educational outreach of Salon Concerts, presenting chamber music in private homes for the past 25 years”, says Blumenthal. “Professional musicians work with orchestra students designated by the orchestra directors, during orchestra, once a week, helping them prepare some of the world’s greatest music written for small ensembles.”

The CHAMPS program currently is in 18 schools, including Canyon Vista, Murchison, Westwood, Westlake. The purpose of the CHAMPS program is to develop a love for chamber music amongst the members. “[CHAMPS is about] Developing leadership and social skills through interaction; gaining poise through performance opportunities, and sharing one’s talents with the community in which we live,” adds Blumenthal. The CHAMPS program has two groups in Canyon Vista. There is a piano quartet, with a violin, viola, cello, and piano. 7th grader Elliot Kim and 8th graders Alex Lee, Sonya Swami, and Anna Wicker make up this group. The other group is the piano quintet, with two violins, a viola, a cello, and a piano. 7th graders Edward Seo and Anant Malpani, and 8th graders Emily Liau, Hannah Lu, and Daniel Shi make up the piano quintet. Students who are in CHAMPS have gone through an audition process. These students are all exceptional players and are members of high standing in their orchestra, as well as members of the All-Region Full Orchestra–all CHAMPS members placed in the top chairs at All-Region this year.

The CHAMPS groups prepare music and rehearse rigorously every week. They are always students that are dependable, hardworking, and go above and beyond. This progress in music can be seen whenever the CHAMPS groups participate in local, statewide, and national chamber music competitions. The CHAMPS groups also perform twice a year at the Canyon Vista Orchestra spring and winter concerts. However, the CHAMPS groups mostly perform before professional chamber music concerts, and “for private organizations, nursing homes and retirement centers when requested,” says Blumenthal. The CHAMPS groups always play extremely difficult music, and the execution is often flawless, thanks to Blumenthal, who has been with the CHAMPS program for five years, and Leah Nelson, assistant director of CHAMPS. “We hope you will attend our concerts, and those presented by Salon Concerts and Classic Chamber Concerts,” says Blumenthal.

The CHAMPS program is very important to our school because it develops professional string players and individual students, who in turn can increase the playing ability, tone, and professionalism of the entire orchestra. This can change our school to a more mature and music-respecting body. Canyon Vista is very lucky to have such a phenomenal program in our school. We have produced great music through the CHAMPS program for all to hear, and because of CHAMPS, we have such a prodigious music program implemented in our school.

“CHAMPS is a musical experience, and you can have fun with friends at the same time,” says 7th grader Anant Malpani, part of the string quintet in CHAMPS. “It is a great learning experience, it’s really fun to be part of the program,” adds Malpani. “CHAMPS gives the school a reputation,” Edward Seo (member of CHAMPS) agrees. “CHAMPS is a great extra school activity– I love and am honored to be in such an outstanding music program”, Seo adds. “CHAMPS and its directors helped me look at playing music together from another aspect… it made me gain a deeper understanding of the arts.”

Blumenthal is proud to be the director of such a prestigious group, and under her leadership many esteemed players and groups have been born. To see this phenomenal group, you can attend their concert this Sunday, January 17, at Austin Oaks Church.