All Aboard Mustang Express

Infographic that says Mustang Express
Mira Kondrakunta
Infographic that says Mustang Express

Mustang express is a 4-day event in which fifth graders from elementary schools in RRISD come to visit the Canyon Vista campus in which they get to learn about the electives offered, ask any questions they may have about the school, and get to see a special pep rally organized by the school.

“It’s important because it gives these kids an opportunity to come see the school and maybe it will reduce their fears and anxiety because if they never see the school and just show up that’s probably a little intimidating,” Current 8th Grade Counselor, Naomi Galvan said.

The schools that are involved in this event include Kathy Caraway, Laurel Mountain, Jollyville, and Spicewood. Fifth graders from all of these schools are toured around the school with the help of sixth grade volunteers.

“ [I volunteered because]I wanted to see what it was like for the kids who toured me around when I was in school,” Lainey Byrne (6) said.

The Pep rally contains performances from Honors Band, Honors Orchestra, Honors Choir, and Honors theater.

“I like it because I get to perform in front of the little kids and I get to show them what our program is all about,” Honors Choir student Masha Illarionova (8) said.

According to Scholastic the move from elementary school to middle school is the biggest change one’s child can experience yet; Mustang express is designed to assist in easing the change.

“When the adults tour them around the school they don’t really get to share their experiences here because the adults have probably never been here but the sixth graders can show how we were nervous for school and what to watch out for,” Sixth Grade Volunteer Zoe Xu (6) said.