Catalonia’s Independence from Spain!

Vishnu Sreenivasan, Reporter

Catalonia is an an autonomous community of Spain. That means even though it has it’s own government and capital it is considered to be part of Spain. Catalonia had a vote on Sunday October 1, 2017. 90 % of the people voted in favor of independence from Spain. Catalonia is one of the wealthiest communities of Spain and has a population of 7.5 million.

The people of Catalonia say that they feel they contribute more to The Spanish Government than the government does to them. Before the Spanish Civil War, Catalonia enjoyed the freedom of autonomy. After the civil war Catalonia’s culture was put an end to under the dictator Francisco Franco from 1939 to 1975. After Franco’s death in 1975, Catalonia recuperated and thrived once again. In 1979 the Catalan statute of autonomy restored the Catalan government.. The support for independence has grown rapidly in the past few years, especially as Spain has gone through an economic crisis. Many Catalans are also resentful about the Spanish constitutional court’s decision to annul parts of the 2006 Catalan statute of autonomy.

That brings us back to today. Although the vote favored independence from Spain, The Spanish Government refused it and called it “illegal”. Many riots and protests have been going on because of this declaration. Catalonians are protesting all around the streets of Barcelona. Catalan President Carles Puigdemont has said Catalonia will declare independence from Spain “at the end of this week or the beginning of next”. “This matter could turn into all out warfare,” Oliver Barnfield (7) said.

That would be catastrophic. Not only would many die but Spain’s economy would tank. Hopefully there will be more news regarding the Catalonian referendum by Monday Oct. 9.

About the Writer
Vishnu Sreenivasan, Chief Producer and Editor
Vishnu is an 8th-grade student with many interests. He loves to play tennis and to watch Netflix. He is known by his friends and family for his vast and extensive knowledge about what’s going on the world and his amusing interpretations on current affairs. He loves video games, watching Friends re-runs and does not miss...