Boys Soccer Complete Undefeated Season

Andrew Bailey, Reporter

On the 10th of May, The CV soccer teams faced off against Chisholm Trail. But this was more than any normal game for the players. Both teams from both schools came into the game undefeated, and the winners of the matches would leave the ground knowing that they were district champions. For the first time this year, the stakes were raised. The Red and Blue arrived at Chisholm’s field knowing that they could secure themselves a second title in as many years if they got the full three points away from home. But would they?

The game started a little bit chippy and physical early. The first real chance for either team came when the Cougars won a free kick and their number 10 put it over the crossbar. Midway through the first half, our Mustangs found a breakthrough. Patrick Cotey played a through ball down the left side, and Kiyan Tavasoli was off to the races. He outran the center back and met the ball, dribbled into the left channel, and crossed the ball into the box, where Chance Felan was waiting for it on the back post, and he took his opportunity with a right-footed volley across the body of the diving goalkeeper to make the score 1-0. Not long later, though, and it was 1-1, as a ball down the left side of the Blue’s defense was cleared only to the edge of the 18, which allowed the Chisholm striker to run through the gap down his right side and tuck the ball into the bottom corner. Within three minutes, both teams had scored. At halftime, the scoreline was still one all. And 30 minutes of match time later, neither team had scored again. With a 1-1 draw, both Boy’s teams finished undefeated seasons, and, if Hopewell middle school fail to win their final game of the season, they will be joint-district champions with Chisholm and Hopewell. Congrats to the boys and go Mustangs!

About the Writer
Andrew Bailey, Reporter

Andrew lives and breathes sports. When not playing football for Canyon Vista Middle School or soccer with his soccer team, you can find him at work refereeing soccer games, running at the track, working out at home, or playing with his friends at Mountain View Park. He is also an avid reader and an all-A’s student. Andrew has the determination to share with you the best information on you favorite sports with his monthly articles and podcasts on Canyon Echoes. Happy reading!