Mind Over Matter

Jessie Van Den Berg, Reporter

Has anyone ever told you to say “positive things or if you say negative things, those actions will actually come true?” You might be like “Sure, okay” sarcastically. But it’s genuinely true!

The power of the mind is something that is useful and important for your whole life! The earlier you learn and understand this concept, the better. Here is one example from my own personal experience. Last year I had so much stress and I didn’t know how to negative it that I had mentally driven myself ill. I kept tearing my body down with unkind and negative things. Then spent days feeling sick and achy and uncomfortable. This year has been rough and in different ways but I am learning to stay positive as best I can. It has worked. That is because I forgive myself by making time to rest and take care of my body. Mind power is everything.

One thing to cope with during this learning experience called life is that you don’t have to be Smiley Sandy all the time, you still want to be authentic. As a human, we will have breakdowns and we will have sadness and struggles and anger. But, once we go through that you can forgive, have grace, and cope. That is what being a human is all about. That is what this mental change is all about.

Believe it or not, there is a science behind this it is called Neuroplasticity. The definition is the brain’s ability to reorganize itself by forming new neural connections throughout life.

My long-known friend Rachel Advey has improved her lifestyle by practicing this science. She puts up her goals and affirmations on her bathroom mirror and recites them every morning and night. This has helped her gain and reach those goals and even reach beyond that point.

About the Writer
Jessie Van Den Berg, Reporter

Jessie Van Den Berg is a lover, and nonstop writing nerd. She loves musicals and going to Broadway shows. Music is a big part of her life since she is also a dancer. She loves watching the series Riverdale with her friends. She is known for her kindness and big heart by her family and peers. Family is #1 to her.