Do I Hear a Smacking Noise?!

As many teachers have noticed already, gum is something that a lot of students here chew. I personally love gum, as do most of my friends. But, gum is technically not allowed at school. That is one of the few rules that we do not follow. I only have a few teachers that actually make me spit out my gum, and they are all gym coaches except one. I think this rule should be changed. Not taken away, just altered a tiny bit.

The teachers should let us chew gum under a few exceptions.

1. We should keep the rule that you are not allowed to chew gum in gym because that rule is for safety reasons.
  2. If we (the students) are being distracting and are disrupting the class by, for instance, blowing bubbles loudly or smacking on our gum really loud, then the teacher(s) should ask us to spit it out.

I think that students should be allowed to chew gum in school. We should be allowed to chew gum for many good reasons.

1. Gum helps you concentrate, especially during tests or intense quizzes. According to the British Psychological Society (BPS), chewing gum can help you remember and do better on longer mental tasks.
  2. That’ll be one less rule to worry about!
  3. If gum is allowed, then students won’t have to hide gum under the tables and underneath the chairs instead of being caught spitting it out which would really help our school be a lot cleaner and need less cleaning.

I personally think that this is a great idea and there is no reason why the teachers and staff should not allow it. If there are any flaws in this idea, please tell me in person or email me at [email protected]. I would really like for this idea to be taken into consideration.