All 8 Nintendo Consoles Ranked

Ever since Nintendo started out in the late ’80s, they have kept releasing quality games. So today, we’ll be taking a look at the best and worst consoles in the company’s history, from the greatest to the worst. No handhelds or peripherals like Panasonic Q will be present. As the old Nintendo ads used to say: Now You’re Playing (or reading) With Power.

1. SNES– The golden age of video games peaked with the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, bringing us near perfect games that still remain classics. I’m sure that you can all name a few games from the classic console, even if you don’t know that they were on the SNES. Games like Earthbound, Link to the Past, Street Fighter, Mega Man X, Castlevania, Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country, and Super Mario World. A great controller and our introduction to several great franchises like Starfox and Chrono Trigger.

2. Wii – While there were certainly a good few people who hated the motion controls, the Wii used them very well, and it’s close to the top of our list. Games like Wii Sport Resort were excellent examples of what motion controls could do when used to their full extent, and Legend of Zelda, Skyward Sword showed that motion controls could be used even in places people thought they couldn’t (besides just being a really good game). There were plenty of bad, bad games on the Wii (check out Wii Fireplacing) but there were plenty of good games out there as well. And for those of you who don’t like the Wii games, there’s something for you too! With the Wii’s virtual console and the ability to download old games right on to your TV, everyone’s happy! Check Out: Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda Twilight Princess, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Kirby’s Return to Dreamland

3. NES– The Console that started it all. The NES showed that video games weren’t just a fad, but a viable art form after Atari was disgraced by the Video Game Crash. At this age, people couldn’t have arcade machines brought to their houses, so the NES solved all that. Instead of CD’s, like we have now, they had to use huge ports for cartridges the size of bricks. But that was a small price to pay for the joy and amazement it brought to the guy’s and girls! And it started some great franchises, like Zelda, Metroid, and of course, Mario. What’s not to like? Check Out: Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros 3, Metroid, Mega Man 2, Final Fantasy

4. Switch – The newest console. While it was good, it wasn’t the most perfect console the people at Nintendo created. It had the SMALLEST controllers possible ever, it’s portable battery was never lasting more than 3 hours and lots of other problems. But other than that, I believe Nintendo’s intentions were pure about it. It had the interesting idea of disconnecting controllers for motion or attaching them for a portable console. You could play it on the TV, or on the go, and over the three years it was out, a lot of improvements were made (mostly non-physical). Check Out: Splatoon 2, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey

5. N64 – While the Nintendo 64 wasn’t perfect, it also wasn’t bad. It really showed the future of games, and how 3D would be used in the future. It also starred some seriously good games, most notably The Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time, as well as it’s sequel, Majora’s Mask. Mario 64 and Star Fox 64 was also a nice addition. The console also sported some excellent third party games, mostly from Rare, who blessed us with Banjo Kazooie, Conker’s Bad Fur Day, and of course Goldeneye. Other largely unknown Rare games were really excellent, and they are hiding around somewhere for collectors to find. The N64 had some problems too, with graphics that paled in comparison to the PlayStation and a janky controller, but it nevertheless gave us some great games.

6. Gamecube– Nintendo’s forgotten boi. Gamecube had some excellent games, but also its fair share of duds. It certainly had a lot of personality, with plenty of quirky games and an interesting design. But the system had its fair share of problems, like its cumbersome mini-CD system. But all in all, Gamecube was a flawed, but innovative, console that had lots of great franchise entries. Check Out: Zelda: Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Luigi’s Mansion, Pikmin, Super Mario Sunshine

7. WiiU– The WiiU is the strange child of the Wii, who failed getting sold. The advertisements were awkward, and the console was only half a step up from the Wii. The only games people cared about were games like Super Mario Maker, Mario Kart 8, and Super Mario Bros WiiU, but all those games were either ported to the 3DS, or the 3DS had similar games. Another problem with the WiiU is that once the switch came out, more games were ported there, like Legend of Zelda BotW, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and (get ready) New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe. Too many of the Wii U games were ported to other consoles, making it ultimately useless. Check Out: Mario Maker, Splatoon

8. Virtual Boy – It’s no secret that the Virtual Boy failed. It’s strange design and horrible red coloring made it a blight on Nintendo’s near perfect track record. The seizure-inducing and eye-straining graphics made it infamous, and Nintendo has never ventured into virtual reality again. Also, what’s the deal with those weird all-red graphics? They were really awful. Check Out: I dunno…

So what did you think of our ranking? Let us know in the comments…

Featured Image: Colin Johnson

About the Writers
Oliver Barnfield, Cool Guy/Entertainment Editor

Oliver is a Canyon Echoes veteran who currently works as Entertainment Editor, and he also directs and stars in The Opinionist, Canyon Echoes 1st video series. He enjoys composing and listening to all genres of music as DJ Spoon Goon, an obsession that also extends to trivial knowledge. He prides himself in knowing all sorts of useless facts with no application in everyday life, that continuously roll around in his movie addled brain. He enjoys writing and drawing comics, occasionally with his friends. His favorite shows include Stranger Things, Adventure Time, and The Office. He writes almost exclusively about the movies and games that he is obsessed with, and occasionally appears on the announcements. You may know him as the “hilly hilly hilarious” kid. 

Andrew Watson, Reporter

Andrew probably best compares to an unstable compound. He’s unpredictable, can do anything, have lots of different parts, and treat him incorrectly, and he might blow up in your face. He tends to just escape reality due to the fact that reality is FILLED with problems, so he’s decided to call out some of those problems in order to attempt to fix them. He enjoys video games and whatever else hermits do. (Comedy movies) Social interaction is not one of his strong suits, so he prefers to say behind a screen and write articles and edit film. While his friends tend to work on the Opinionist, or with Oliver, he stays behind and works on his own article: Failures of Humanity.

Baker Tuthill, Reporter

Baker Tuthill is in 8th grade and went to Spicewood elementary.  He takes BIMM, Theatre and Newsmedia. He has one younger brother who is in 5th grade. He also has a dog, Swing. He enjoys playing piano and 3-string guitar in his free time. He enjoys writing opinion and news articles and is excited to begin writing this year.

Colin Johnson, Reporter

Colin Johnson is a writer who always wants to interview people. He always writes funny articles and works on the Opioninist. Be sure to say hello to him in the halls if you want to be interviewed for Canyon Echoes.

1 Comment

One Response to “All 8 Nintendo Consoles Ranked”

1. Austin Nguyen on October 5th, 2018 2:23 pm

Great article Oliver! Tell everyone I said hi!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

• Entertainment

What Do Students Watch on Netflix

• All 8 Nintendo Consoles Ranked

Art

The ‘Make Your Own Music Sites

• All 8 Nintendo Consoles Ranked

Entertainment

Unravel is a Masterpiece

• All 8 Nintendo Consoles Ranked

Entertainment

How Does Fortnite Make Money?

• All 8 Nintendo Consoles Ranked

Entertainment

The Opinionist Episode 10: Best and Worst Soundtracks

• All 8 Nintendo Consoles Ranked

Art

Favorite Free Art Programs: Krita

• All 8 Nintendo Consoles Ranked

Books

A Wrinkle in Time: Movie Review

• All 8 Nintendo Consoles Ranked

Entertainment

Five of the Most Popular 2018 Halloween Costumes

• All 8 Nintendo Consoles Ranked

Campus News

The Pacer Test

• All 8 Nintendo Consoles Ranked

Entertainment

All Hallows Eve: The Legend of the Spooks