Should Grafitti be Considered Art?

Jack Purcell, Reporter

Some would say graffiti is awful and no one should be able to do it but I say People should be able to express themselves and do art in the way that they are most comfortable in. I hear many people say how graffiti is just made by people because they are stupid and they just want the feeling of risk. And even though some of that is sadly true I have still seen a lot of graffiti in different places that really inspired me to stay interested in art. I feel like for people who are amazing at graffiti should be allowed to do what they love the most.

One of my favorite parts about graffiti is that you can see it almost anywhere you go, on walls, on trucks, on buildings. And even if the graffiti is just letters or words it can be very good a lot of times. I just like the way graffiti is just spraypaint and nothing else. People make these extravagant pieces of art with just a $4 can of spray paint and a wall.

The more graffiti I see the more I think that there should be more places like graffiti hi; that allow people to do graffiti because even though it is great to see graffiti all over the place, if there were more places that allowed graffiti I could still see it often.

It annoys me when people say “Isn’t graffiti already considered art?” because if it was already considered art then there would be graffiti in museums, and art shows and It sucks that people who are really talented have to hide their names from their art. No one can ever know who made it. Or else they would get in trouble.

• Damage of less than $100 is a Class C misdemeanor, punishable by a $500 fine.
  • Damage of between $100 and $750 is a Class B misdemeanor, punishable by up to 180 days in jail.
  • Damage of more than $30,000 but less than $150,000 is a third-degree felony, punishable by up to ten years in jail.

When someone paints on a canvas it normally goes in an art museum of some sort, but to a graffiti artist, the whole world is their canvas there not gonna bother buying a canvas if it’s not going to end up in an art showcase, because we don’t consider graffiti as a form of art. So they might as well make it so everyone can enjoy their art.