A Cool Tour of Canyon Echoes

Branton Greenberg, Writer

When you walk into the technology room in 1st period, you will see a multitude of things: perhaps you will see Nathan working hard on the announcements with Alexia or Ariel. Or maybe Vishnu, keeping up with current events. Perhaps you will see Oliver, scribing away at another pop culture think-piece. Maybe Erith, writing about her beloved K-pop, or Andrew, writing about sports, or Keshav and Austin, debating memes or video games .

The news-media class is always abuzz with energy and creativity. In the room next to ours, is the computer lab. This is where the Opinionist is filmed. At the back, Nathan films the announcements every morning, ensuring that the students know the news of the school. Along with a green screen, the set up includes multiple monitors, spotlights, a boom mike, and a teleprompter. The Announcements are the most viewed of our websites content, and are reposted on our YouTube channel. There are  primary teams of announcers that switch out daily: Oliver Barnfield, Vishnu Sreenivasan, Alexia Clamou, Ariel Sun, Lucy Wassmuth, Keshav Laxminarasimhan, and Austin Nguyen, with other people occasionally chiming in. We started doing jokes a few weeks in, and this has continued to be a popular segment of the broadcast, with students sending in jokes. The Intro’s were started off a while back as well, at around the same time. This tradition was kick-started by Oliver Barnfield, who created the 1st musical intro, set to Brass Construction’s song Movin’.

For more information on the announcements, see this more in-depth article by Austin Nguyen. Updated Behind The Scenes of the Canyon Echoes Broadcast.

The running gags and camaraderie are everywhere, from “begonias” to the infamous “Zoo Wee Whisper Incident”, a subject which evolved into an episode of The Opinionist.

A large cabinet hides the cameras that we use to take pictures and videos. It is next to Mrs. Sharpe’s desk, which is near the large whiteboard that is used for the sketches that are featured in some Opinionist episodes.

Canyon Echoes has won many awards, including Distinguished Merit through UIL.

The other whiteboard has some accolades and reminders of good photo composition. The Newsmedia classroom is a hub of ideas and stories, and there is truly never a dull moment.

About the Writer
Branton Greenberg, Writer
Branton is a interesting and inquisitive kid who enjoys writing about animals and food. He loves Cooking Shows and is a huge fan of the Great British Baking Show. He is considered by people who don’t know him well to be quite and reserved, however his true friends know him to be theatrical and exciting....
1 Comment

One Response to “A Cool Tour of Canyon Echoes”

1. Zack Catuogno on December 14th, 2017 8:19 pm

b e g o n i a
    b e g o n i a
    b e g o n i a
    b e g o n i a
    b e g o n i a
    b e g o n i a
    b e g o n i a
    b e g o n i a
    b e g o n i a
    b e g o n i a

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

• A Cool Tour of Canyon Echoes

Campus News

Hardest Classes According to 15 Kids

• A Cool Tour of Canyon Echoes

Campus News

Why I Believe We Should Have School Uniforms

• A Cool Tour of Canyon Echoes

Campus News

Why Canyon Vista Should Give Recess

• A Cool Tour of Canyon Echoes

Campus News

Eighth Grade Football vs. Pearson Ranch

• A Cool Tour of Canyon Echoes

Campus News

Some Facts About CVMS Orchestra

• A Cool Tour of Canyon Echoes

Campus News

A Problematic Bus

• A Cool Tour of Canyon Echoes

Campus News

Changes to Canyon Vista This Year

• A Cool Tour of Canyon Echoes

Campus News

Why CVMS Should Teach Latin

• A Cool Tour of Canyon Echoes

Campus News

Social Media Issues

• A Cool Tour of Canyon Echoes

Campus News

Why Are We Getting So Much Rain?