The Student News Site of Canyon Vista Middle School

Caroling, A Christmas Tradition

The weather is getting colder, and everyone retreats into their safe, warm house. Everyone, that is, except for a small group of people. A group of people that work hard, every year, through rain, or sleet, or snow to deliver Christmas spirit to even the grouchiest of neighbors. Those people are carolers.

For the song choice, sing carols that are well known, like “We Wish You a Merry Christmas,” “Let It Snow,” and “Jingle Bell Rock.” Photo by Kara Wilkinson 

Caroling is such a time honored tradition that it is on many peoples Christmas To Do List. According to Kristi Oloffson of TIME, caroling has been around since the 19th century. Although it hasn’t always been associated with Christmas. Although it is old, the tradition of caroling is well loved even now.

To ensure your caroling experience is a success, here are a few tips:

First, you need a group. This can be a group of friends, or your family. Not everyone has to know how to sing.

Next, plan a time. You can go any time during December, but we recommend the week before Christmas. You should go around 6:00 p.m. because the darker it gets, the more dangerous caroling is. To be extra safe, be sure to have at least one adult with you.

Have your stops planned. Leave your audience wanting more by keeping it brief. Make sure that you and your group have rehearsed your songs. Perform no more than one or two songs per household.

For the song choice, sing carols that are well known, like “We Wish You a Merry Christmas,” “Let It Snow,” and “Jingle Bell Rock.” Choose a good mix of fast and slow songs, and invite the people you are performing for to sing along.

Caroling expert Mr.Vara said, “When caroling, smile! People enjoy performances more when it appears that the performers are enjoying themselves.” Also, carry a folder. This adds to the classic image people think of when they think of caroling. For an extra effect, carry battery powered candles too.

Something you can do in addition, after singing, ask your spectators for a small donation for the needy. After all, giving to others is the true meaning of Christmas.