7th Grade Volleyball

The 7th grade Lady Mustangs are racking up wins in their weekly volleyball games. Their bumping, setting, and spiking is pure perfection. As they defend the court through sweat and perseverance, they make our school look good.

The 7th grade Lady Mustangs believe in themselves and in each other. Photo by Neeha

The Deerpark game was no competition! The girls swept the floor with the Deer Park Rangers. The A team won with a score of 25-4, while the B team scored 25-16. The Rangers stood no chance against our champion Mustangs!

7th grade Coach, Jacki Govea, is proud of her team. Govea, who has been coaching for six years at Canyon Vista, loves volleyball. Govea says, “I love watching the players gain confidence and skills through the season. The teamwork and camaraderie formed throughout the course of the season brings a smile to everyone’s face whether you’re coaching them or not, but it especially brings a smile to my face.”

Govea mentions that the 7th graders are doing great. “We’ve only had two games so far this year. They learn more and more each week, and gain more confidence in their ability to work together. The B team is 1-1, while the A team is undefeated.”

Caroline S. (left photo) gets ready to serve. Maddi K., Julia B., and Maggie S. (right photo) play defense. Photos by Neeha

Govea believes that you can learn a lot from sports. “Volleyball teaches athletes what it means to be on a team. It teaches players to trust and depend on their teammates to make great things happen both on and off the court. It teaches them to always give 100% for themselves and for their teammates. Volleyball also teaches communication and confidence. I preach to my players daily to ‘turn up their confidence.’ It’s hard for others to believe in someone before they believe in themselves. Players learn the more you practice, the better you get, which relates to so many real life situations too! And another important lesson my players learn is to let the little mistakes go. You can’t focus on that missed serve or bad pass. Focus on the next ball and move on!”

Claire T. (right) serves one up as Izzy B. (left) gets ready for the return. Photo by Neeha

As they move on to their next game, our Lady Mustangs teach us that not only is volleyball a fun game to watch, it’s a game that reinforces the things of life that make us stronger individuals. It’s easy to have school spirit when your school team is as dedicated as our 7th grade Lady Mustangs. Check them out Thursdays after school.