iPads in Education

This year, Round Rock ISD has invested in new technology across the district by getting rid of Netbooks and replacing them with Chromebooks and new full sized laptops. The district also invested in iPad carts. Some are located in classrooms, like Mrs. Martin and Mr. Waghorne. Yet, some of the teachers gripe about how the iPads are not the perfect device.

Infographic created by Zac Delane on piktochart.com

“They are not a multi-user device, and people’s work get deleted,” teachers like Mrs Martin, and Mr. Waghorne claimed. But, Apple is working to make iPads more school friendly in the latest 9.3 Update. All iPads will become a multi-user, yet still keeping all students work separate. With an Apple ID login, it keeps the students work private, and locked from other users of the iPad.

Teachers also benefit from the update. They can monitor what students are doing through the Apple Classroom app on their teacher iPad, and can share students’ screens to the classroom’s Apple TV. Teachers can also guide students through lessons, and launch and lock specific apps to help student concentration. With iTunes U integration, teachers will find it easier to build their class up. Teachers can assign homework assignments and apps through the App Store.

Apple IDs make the entire school life easier with Apple School integration. Apple claims that “like any Apple ID, they allow you to store documents in iCloud, enroll in iTunes U courses, and more. But managed Apple IDs are designed just for schools, so you can easily reset passwords, audit accounts, create IDs in bulk, and create customized roles for everyone in the district.” iOS 9.3 has not been released to the public yet, and district officials are still up in the air about the change. It seems like iPads are being more oriented for schools more than ever, and it helps evolve the learning experience. Now that the new education update will be coming out, it will help students and teachers step into the next era of technology at schools.

For more information about Apple in Education, click here.