French Club Bon Bons

Every year, our school’s French Club holds a sale of Bon Bons, which are brightly colored chewy candies.These popular treats sell very easily, with students clamoring to be first to buy. They’re a dollar per package and the available flavors are strawberry, watermelon, green apple and blue raspberry.

One of the few packs still available in Mrs. Mattioli's room, Room 425. Photo by Emily Lu
One of the few packs still available in Mrs. Mattioli’s room, Room 425. Photo by Emily Lu

Bon Bons are a raging success. A large majority of the students love them and they run out very quickly. Students go around asking who is in French Club so that they can buy and it becomes a huge race to get the candies-first come, first serve. The students all love that their sweet tooth cravings are fulfilled by these candies, but some of the teachers think different.

“Every year, it’s the same. It is only two weeks, but it seems like half a year,” one teacher said. “The wrappers always end up forgotten in my room, and more than once, I have accidentally stepped on a Bon Bon itself that was left on the floor. Even now, I have never eaten a Bon Bon. It’s more like a protest then an actual grudge.” Even though some teachers complain about the mess these candies are causing, they continue to endure popularity and provide a taste of French culture for the students.

Mrs.Mattioli is the French Club sponsor and has been selling Bon Bons for four years. She is also Canyon Vista’s French teacher. “This year was a big success,” she stated. “There were at least forty kids in the club. All six tables had five kids sitting around it, and there were kids on the floor.” Every student in French Club got fifty packs of Bon Bons. In total, that means that the fundraiser sold about 2,000 packs of Bon-Bons. Since each pack is about $1, that roughly adds up to $2,000.  While 70% goes to the company that makes the Bon Bons, Foreign Candy Company, a lot of money is still raised for our French Club, which they use to fund a field trip in the spring.

There are still a few packs available, so make sure to stop by at Mrs.Mattioli’s room for those last few packs of Bon Bons. Get them before they run out to help with the French Club’s fundraiser!