Who’s Your Coach?

Here at Canyon Vista, we have seven dedicated coaches who work together to create a healthy and motivating fitness program. All of our coaches have had a tremendous impact on our wellness and active lifestyles.

Coach Nielsen coaches 7th and 8th grade Girls Athletics and 6th, 7th, and 8th grade Wellness Education. She has been at Canyon Vista for two years and strives to motivate students to be fit. Nielsen likes to compete in triathlons and adventure races, travel, spend time with family and friends, watch movies, cook, be active at her church and Bible Study Class, and host social events. Nielsen has admitted that she is “a bit OCD about her house,” and that she has a brother that is 6’8”!

Coach Govea has taught 7th and 8th grade Girls Athletics and 6th, 7th, and 8th grade Wellness Education for six years. Govea likes to spend time with her family and friends and watch her children play sports. Some of her hobbies include making scrapbooks, running, and watching movies. Govea shared that she is a fourth generation Austinite and she can wiggle her ears. She also attended Spicewood Elementary and Canyon Vista as a student.

Coach Scott coaches 7th and 8th grade Girls Athletics, 6th grade Wellness Education, and Dance. She has been here for four years. Scott loves to participate in races- some of her favorites being The Tough Mudder and The Downtown Dash. One of Scott’s favorite things to do is to lay under freshly cleaned clothes and enjoy the warmth of the drying machine.

Coach Rice coaches 7th and 8th Boys Athletics and 6th, 7th, and 8th grade Wellness Education. Rice has been teaching for 35 years at multiple schools. Rice’s hobbies include photography, traveling with his wife, snorkeling, hiking, backpacking, collecting records, and running. Some things you may not know about Rice is that he was a part of the Walt Disney World Grand Opening Day Parade Marching Band during high school and that he has backpacked across the Grand Canyon.

Coach Reyna coaches 7th and 8th grade Boys Athletics and 6th, 7th, and 8th grade Wellness Education. Reyna has been coaching for an outstanding 20 years at Canyon Vista. He enjoys adding to his music mixes and exercising in the weight room. A fun fact about Reyna is that during his college years in the summer, he worked for security at concerts.

Coach Azios coaches 7th and 8th grade Boys Athletics and 6th, 7th, and 8th grade Wellness Education. Azios has been coaching at the Canyon for 20 years like Reyna, and some of his hobbies include going to the lake, playing basketball, listening to music, and watching football. Azios played football at Westwood High School.

Coach Stevenson coaches 7th and 8th grade Boys Athletics and 6th grade Wellness Education and also teaches Leadership, as part of the Mustang Discovery program. Stevenson has been at Canyon Vista for three years and he enjoys spending time with his family, fishing, hiking, and relaxing at the lake. Stevenson took a break from his career for 10 years so he could travel around the world. Some of his favorite places to visit were the Himalayan Mountains, Nepal, and the Amazon.

Each coach serves in his or her place and is one part of a whole, the whole being the strong Physical Education Department we have at Canyon Vista. Their hard work and devotion makes all the difference and students are healthier for it.