No Homework Day

Click to enlarge. Infographic created by Ellie Brandes on Canva.com

How do most people spend their afternoons after school? They probably have a snack, watch TV, and then do their homework. Homework is an extension of school that students do at home to reinforce what they are learning in class. It becomes the main event in our afternoon after we leave school.

Luckily, we all get a break from the stress and worries of homework for one day. No Homework Day, an event put into action by Canyon Vista’s principal, Mrs. Hagerty, has made this possible. The idea of No Homework Day came originally from the principal of Hopewell middle school, Mr. Waggoner. He introduced the idea while all the principals of the Round Rock school district were at a meeting. “Mr. Waggoner said that the idea of No Homework Day got positive feedback from parents,” Mrs. Hagerty said. She liked the idea because students were so wrapped up with homework and extracurricular activities. No Homework Day is a way for students to just “be kids” by spending time with their family and friends. “I introduced the idea at a monthly Mustang Council meeting.” Everyone at the meeting liked the idea, so No Homework Day began as a way for students to relax.

That is not the only reason why Mrs. Hagerty decided to bring No Homework Day to Canyon Vista. “I believe that students should be well-rounded, and to make a well-rounded person takes other interests. It’s not all about work and academics,” she said. No Homework Day gives students time for those other interests. “Having well-rounded students in class will create richer class discussions, and students will not only look out for themselves, but for their peers, too,” said Mrs. Hagerty. This day is something we can all look forward to for a day of relaxation.

The days for No Homework Day might appear to be randomly chosen, but they all fall on early release days. Mrs. Hagerty and the other Canyon Vista teachers thought that early release days would be best because students get from 1:30 PM until their bedtime to relax and spend time with family and friends. This year’s No Homework Days are on Sept. 23rd, Oct. 28th, Dec. 2nd, Feb. 3rd, March 2nd, and May 4th.  

No Homework Day is all about the teachers assigning no homework, but there are other rules they have to follow, as well. Quizzes and tests the day after No Homework Day are not allowed, since some students may be compelled to studying, as well as projects due the next day, because some students may want to add finishing touches to their projects. These rules ensure that No Homework Day will be worry-free and relaxing.

Many students support No Homework Day. On No Homework Day, students have time for things they wouldn’t otherwise. They have time to spend with their family and friends. 6th grader Caleb Read said that if he didn’t have homework, he would usually “play outside, go to after school activities, invite friends over, and play games.” Without homework, students have time for extracurricular activities and relaxation. No Homework Day is a little taste of summer vacation in the middle of the school year.

But, why do we usually have homework? Homework teaches students responsibility and ensures that students understand what they are doing in class. However, too much homework can cause unwanted stress and worry. Studies done by Professor Harris Cooper of Duke University say that the “10 minute rule” should apply for homework. For instance, sixth graders should get 60 minutes of homework, seventh graders should get 70 minutes of homework, and so on. Cooper also says that homework should “vary according to the student’s home circumstances and development level.”

Of course, too much homework can affect a student’s grades. Cooper says that even for high schoolers, overloading students with homework is not associated with higher grades. Their grades actually might drop because of the additional stress.

Overall, homework is important. Students should still have time for extracurricular activities and not have to worry about the amount of homework they still have. No Homework Day gives students a chance to do just that. So get ready to kick back, relax, and enjoy No Homework Day!