French Club Field Trip

“The Eiffel” is an appetizing blend of chicken and greens topped with shredded provolone cheese. Photo by Jenny Xu

Many students at Canyon Vista are interested in the French language and history. One way to do so is with French Club, sponsored by French teacher Madame Mattioli, which allows them to expand their knowledge on these subjects in a fun environment.  “I would like students to be exposed to the French language and francophone cultures while having fun and meeting new friends,” Madame Mattioli answered when asked why she created the French Club. The club participates in many activities, one of which is the annual field trip. The members raise money for this field trip by selling Bon Bons, a popular sweet candy.

8th graders Aneesha Kambhampati, Sara Miranda, Bianca Widjaja, and Gauri Pargaonkar enjoy savory crêpes at Le Café Crêpe. Photo by Jenny Xu

This year, Canyon Vista’s French Club visited the Bob Bullock Museum and dined at Le Café Crêpe in downtown Austin. While the French Club visits Le Café Crêpe each time, it was their first time visiting the La Belle exhibit at Bob Bullock Museum. There, they were able to learn more about French culture.

At the Bob Bullock Museum, the French Club viewed the La Belle, a French ship that was lost in a storm in 1686. In 1995, La Belle was discovered in Matagorda Bay, along with thousands of artifacts left on the ship. The ship is currently being rebuilt to show what it looked like many years ago. While at this museum, students learned more about how the French tried to settle in Texas, and why La Belle was the ship that changed history. “It was amazing and lots of fun since we got to learn so many different things and spend time with friends.” 8th grader Bianca Widjaja said. Aneesha Kambhampati agreed, saying: “It was nice how we don’t just learn the French language, we actually learn the history and get involved with the culture as well.”  In previous years, the French Club has visited the Blanton Art Museum and the French Legation Museum.

Aside from their yearly field trips, French Club takes part in many other activities, such as culture trivia games, language games, a Mardi-Gras and end of year party, as well as a special holiday visit to the residents at Heartland.  French Club welcomes all students from different grades and backgrounds and is sure to appeal to many. This club is a great way to have fun with friends as well as learn about another country and its culture.